Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Cupcake Disaster?

Batter


I don't know what came over me when I told my sister-in-law that I'll make the cupcakes for my niece's baptism party. I guess I forgot that I didn't have an electric mixer and that my electric oven can only accommodate a maximum of 12 cupcakes at a time, and that my cupcake pan's capacity is just 6. I woke up the next day barely able to lift my arm from mixing batter for 60 cupcakes.

Pink Sleeves


With everything considered, it wasn't a total disaster. The cupcakes turned out nicely, a bit dense for my liking, but they were tasty little suckers. The only thing that didn't fare well was the frosting. I used the store-bought kind as I knew I'd be strapped for time, and it melted into a gooey, sticky mess come party time.

Good and Bad


Here's my ever-reliable vanilla cupcake recipe from Chockylit (don't you miss her? I super do) who got it from Magnolia Bakery cookbook:

Vanilla Cupcakes from The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook
12 regular cupcakes / 350 degree oven

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

1. Beat butter on high until soft, about 30 seconds.
2. Add sugar. Beat on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
3. Add eggs one at a time, beat for 30 seconds between each.
4. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl.
5. Measure out milk and vanilla together.
6. Add about a fourth of the flour to the butter/sugar mixture and beat to combine.
7. Add about one third the milk/vanilla mixture and beat until combined.
8. Repeat above, alternating flour and milk and ending with the flour mixture.
9. Scoop into cupcake papers about half to three-quarters full (depending on whether you want flat or domed cupcakes).
10. Bake for 20-22 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean.

Packed and Stacked

2 comments:

  1. Oh you must have had loads of work to do.. But your cupcakes have turned out beautiful. Worth all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, it was a LOT of hard work, but I'm pretty proud of myself for the cupcakes, mess and all. Thanks for dropping by! :)

    ReplyDelete