Saturday, January 3, 2009

Gougeres

New Year's eve was a big flurry of activities for the Media Noche (New Year's Eve dinner). Since my husband and I decided to just stay home and watch the fireworks from our 10th floor window, we had a special 3-course Media Noche feast of Squash Soup, Surf 'n Turf with Gougeres & Asparagus sauteed in garlic butter, and a simple Fruit Salad.

I've been toying around with the idea of making Gougeres, but it always seemed to intimidate me because of its seeming complexity and the scarcity, not to mention the cost, of Gruyere here in Manila. With the spare time I had and a hunger to make something I haven't done before (pun intended), I pushed through with the Gougeres plan and bought the (luckily) available, expensive Gruyere from the nearby supermarket at almost 200 Philippine pesos/100 grams, ouchies! I did use Alain Ducasse's Gougeres recipe over at Food & Wine. It was surprisingly easy, quick and most of all, deeelicious! I cut the recipe in half and it still yielded 12 golden cheesy puffs the size of pingpong balls, more than enough Gougeres for 2 people.

I'm in love with Gruyere and it made a perfect cheese puff, but I'd like to try a tangier or spicier cheese like Pepper Jack next time.

Gougeres

Happy New Year everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment